Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

2005 Archives Redux

Another few posts from that Friendster Blog:

Back blows and chest thrusts!

Off I went yesterday to re-certify in First Aid and Child/Infant CPR. Yes, folks, that correct. I can lay your conscious choking infant on my forearm and perform back blows and chest thrusts until the foreign object is released, the child falls unconcious, I become too exhausted to continue, or EMS professionals arrive and take over.

"Back blows and chest thrusts."

Does anyone else out there think that these terms are, in fact, designed to terrify the average human out of acts of good samaritanism? Seriously, if my baby was chocking (by the way, in the instructional video, the baby chokes on a grape - word to the wise, no grapes for babies under a year unless they've been peeled and quartered), and some wacko runs up and says, "Ma'am, I'm Jane, and I'm Red Cross certified in Infant CPR. I know how to help. I'm going to perform BACK BLOWS AND CHEST THRUSTS on your baby to dislodge the foreign object," I'd just about pass out from the horror.

That said, if I ever come across a choking baby, I'll recite some panicky variation on that same pre-rehearsed-Red-Cross-scenario speech, and promptly start performing the aforementioned BACK BLOWS AND CHEST THRUSTS.

DF and I are off the indulge in retail therapy today. We need a trash storage unit, paint samples, he needs new shoes for the wedding, and we have get our wedding rings engraved. Wow, do we sound old.



HoHum

Nothing of interest today. Bought paint for the family room. Grocery shopped. Got my TB skin test. On Thursday I'll report in whether or not I'm consumptive.



Not dead of Consumption!

I've been very neglectful of my baby blog of late... It's been a uniquely taxing couple of weeks. First off, I'm not dead of tuberculosis or consumption. (I prefer consumption. It's antiquated, but a far more pleasant term than tuberculosis.')

Secondly, I was offered the chance to go back to my former employers to care for their newborn son, and two school aged children, at a considerable increase in salary. It sounds like a no-brainer, but in truth it's been a very difficult decision. My current employers are taking advantage of the extended notice I gave, and now I find myself out of work for the last three weeks in June...  This on top of our first mortgage payment coming due, and our honeymoon right around the corner. Nightmare.

So, what it comes down to is that I'll be starting at my new position July 5, and I'm finished here on June 3. Yikes. There'll be a few arguments, I think, regarding back pay for vacation unused, etc... Ugly. Ick.

On the happy side, I'm getting married in 16 days! So much to do, so little time to get it all done. And then, we'll be in Hawaii for a few weeks - how can that be bad? In the next two days alone, I'll be going to my final dress fitting, getting my hair cut and colored, heading out for waxing, plucking, and nails, picking up the bridesmaids' gifts, wrapping them, handling the seating charts.... AAAACK!

Help...

It's gonna be a great party, though. Just you wait!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home