Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Can anyone think of a clever name for Oatmeal Milk Chocolate Cherry Hazelnut Blondies?

I started with Martha Stewart. A very good place to start. (Oh, dear lord. I've invoked Julie Andrews and Martha Stewart in the first two sentences.) The recipe of origin was Chewy Oatmeal Blondies. Good sounding jumping off point, no?

I jumped off last week, and whipped up a bag of Everyday Baking Mix (why not? It's like having Bisquick in the house. No harm. No foul.). Felix and I made up the Blondies, and we all enjoyed them. Toothsome, not too sweet, a little nutty from the oats - and simply begging for a MoMP tweak!

Yesterday, when the urge to bake came over me, I asked myself, "What have I in the pantry?"
Turns out, I had a few of my favorite things, as it were. Dried cherries, toasted chopped hazelnuts, and milk chocolate chips.

Hullo, yum!

I proceeded exactly as the blondies recipe directs. In addition, I chopped the dried cherries and the hazelnuts quite finely. Felix, being two, doesn't like Unidentified Bits in his food. Chocolate chips, on the other hand, are an accepted food group.

I measured 1/2 cup each of the three mix-ins. I folded them in by hand at the end of the mixing. The batter is quite stiff, and needed more nudging into place than the original. I baked them in the same pan, for the same length of time as the original. A Pyrex 8" square pan for 33 minutes, in my case.

They are delish!

And I think you could successfully swap out the type of nuts, chips, or fruit and come up with your own variation. Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious! (Sorry, Dame Julie is in my head today.)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger brushfiremedia said...

Just rearrange the order of ingredients in the name a bit and you could call them CHOMBs. Cherry Hazelnut Oatmeal Milk-chocolate Blondies.

3/3/10, 7:27 PM  
Blogger fibby said...

Yum. That's what you call them.

3/3/10, 9:27 PM  
Anonymous girltuesday said...

how about stewart andrews bars? or julie stewarts? regardless, they look delish.

ps. FWIW: my word verification? reduce. hmm. i think google is telling me to "reduce" my calories. or something. maybe "reduce" my stress? ;)

3/3/10, 10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home