Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Friday, June 16, 2006

New Hampshire: Boring?

I feel horrible. I have a niggling pain in my belly... crampy, achey, upset-ey. I tossed and turned until 4AM last night - very refreshing. And O's had teething fevers, and isn't napping or eating, and he's basically a wreck. Perhaps we're feeding off of one another?

I also have a wedding cake to finish for my friend Al's wedding tomorrow, and since we have to the drive the cake to Waitsfield, VT in the morning, it really needs to be mostly done before I go to bed tonight. Fun.

Do you ever have the fear, after a sleepless night, that this might be the end of good night's sleeps for you? It's totally irrational, but I know that, as I brush my teeth, exfoliate and moiturize my face, and crawl into bed tonight, I'll be wondering if I can just go to sleep like a normal person, instead of lying there, wide awake and miserable for god knows what reason. Awful.

Lucky for Captain Crabby-O, the big kids have been in NH with their grandparents since Wednesday morning (I should know, I drove them there!). They have this big ol' shingle style lake house with a beach and a dock, and boating and a huge play structure - that's a jungle gym for those of you born before 1985. I'd rather be there than in Beacon Hill any day of the week.I took this shot of the house, and toyed with the tint to see what original pictures of the house might have looked like. Pretty nice, huh?

Now, anyone who's familiar with my travels to and from the great Republic of Vermont between 1995 and 1999 knows that I harbor a less-than-secret hatred for the Granite State. First off, "Live Free or Die?" I won't start. But this from a state that hasn't legalized seatbelts for adults? Or helmets on motorcylists? More like, "Live Free and Die." Regardless of safety standards, it stands between me and my heart's home state. Well, I'm spending my anniversary trip there, so I'd better get over that, hmmm?

Easier said than done, when you see this statement on the side of a truck:
Now, I know it's referring to the work done by this company, but what PR wizard came up with this slogan? I have visions of someone from the state tourism board having a fit when they saw this.... But perhaps my analysis is biased by my dislike?

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey that's cool, we're too "safe" nowdays anyway, what's life without a little danger

6/16/06, 7:00 PM  
Blogger Legal Blondie said...

I kind of liked the implication that in NH it's actually not legal to use a seatbelt if you're an adult!! ;-)

6/16/06, 9:39 PM  
Blogger The Burger said...

I always got a kick out of the fact that the license plates bearing the aforementioned slogan are pressed by prison inmates.

Gobbleshye for getting that photo of the truck. Brilliant.

6/17/06, 3:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a resident of the Granite State I'd love to say, "Nay, you're completely wrong." But I can't. And above all else, we do live up to the slogan!

6/24/06, 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home