Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Academy of an Unquiet Mind

Since sometime in my third trimester, which coincided with the end of sanity sleep as I knew it, I started having a recurring dreamscape. It's always the same academic setting, kind of an amalgam of Worcester Academy (oskeewowwow, in my dreams...) and Middlebury, with a dash of film imagery, think Hogwarts meets Baird (HOOwah!). The central plot is that I've consistently missed my history class with Mr. Woodhouse (my actual high school history teacher), and I'll fail the class if don't start showing up. The conflict is always different. In some dreams I'm lost, or can't find the right classroom, sometimes I'm so late, I just bail on the class, sometimes social engagements keep me from getting to class.

Peculiarly, the dreams always seem to feature either long lost friends from school, or casual acquaintances and friends of friends from school. For example, last night I couldn't get to class because I couldn't find my clothes in my messy dorm room, and my roommate was a guy, a former roommate of a friend, and he briefly dated another friend of mine in college. Odd, to say the least. The new twist in this latest dream was that my teacher ran into me, and expressed concern that I'd been missing class and wanted to help me make everything up before the end of the semester.

These dreams always come when I'm stressed and over tired, and it's not that hard to see where they're coming from. Still, it's eye opening to get a "time to relax and get some sleep!" warning from your subconscious, and to know exactly what it is. Now, if I could only get Felix to go back to sleeping through the night, so I could comply.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger brushfiremedia said...

I occasionally have a disturbingly similar dream about missing history class... hmmm...

4/16/08, 2:29 PM  
Blogger Cameron said...

Great mines!

4/16/08, 4:02 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

I put "I'm late" dreams in the general category of frustration dreams, which IME have to do with my not being organized enough to get stuff done, a chronic condition. I dreamed about missing and/or being unprepared for class/exams for many years after I left school, and about missing/being unable to get to/being inappropriately dressed for my wedding for many years after I got married. It was always nice to wake up from that second type and see my husband snoring away next to me (oh, yeah, I guess we did get married, never mind). Another common theme for me is having to cook for a crowd of people and having no ingredients on hand.

In any event, I hope your subconscious stops waking you to give you your sleeping pill, as it were.

4/17/08, 10:50 AM  
Blogger brushfiremedia said...

Mines indeed!

4/17/08, 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home