Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Broccoli Doughnuts; Also, Is It So Hard to Be Nice In the Morning?

I am not a traditional morning person. I need about two hours to acclimate to the day. Since Felix gets me up around 6 every morning, that means by 8 I'm pretty functional. When I get to work around 8:15, I'm ready for breakfast and a cup of tea. I'm ready for the quirky humor I get from O. I'm ready.

Every morning I park my car in a garage a few block from where I work. The garage has security personnel posted at each of the four entrances during extended business hours, so I see them most mornings on my way out into the world. I'm friendly with all of them. They make an effort to say hi to Felix and get him to smile; they also often help me with doors, etc. I don't think it's unusually friendly to say good morning, to ask how are you, or to say thank you to someone. I think it's good manners. Even if I didn't have a rapport with someone. No matter what the hour. That said, by 8, when I'm rolling out of the garage, I've usually hit my stride.

So, I was a little surprised when, after witnessing one guard making silly faces for Felix's benefit, and the other hold door for me and the stroller, and my thanks and well wishes for the day to both of them, the commuter behind me said to me as we were walking away from the entrance, "You're awfully friendly so early in the morning." She wasn't unfriendly about it, but I struck me as an odd comment.

Of course, she probably wasn't going off to work with the preschooler who conceptualized the broccoli doughnut, either. I'd have to be on my game to keep up with a sense of humor like that, right?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger brushfiremedia said...

You clearly haven't had the "pleasure" of seeing the G-monster and his dad first thing in the morning...

12/3/08, 10:15 AM  
Blogger Cameron said...

Oh, but I have ;)
I still think you're at least capable of saying thank you to the lovely folks who pour your coffee, even if you are a super curmudgeon!

12/3/08, 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) A big smile for you from Canada! samm

12/3/08, 3:40 PM  
Blogger brushfiremedia said...

Well, in my head I think I'm saying thanks... but the look on people's faces sometimes indicate that what I think I'm saying and what they're hearing don't seem to match up...

12/4/08, 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home