Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Six Children = Bad Afternoon

After that inspiring post on Monday, my self care week went swiftly downhill. Felix's naps haven't been great and I've had to drive to preschool due to time constraints.

As I type, Big Brother J and Miss E have friends over, who also happen to be siblings. I'll call them Thing A and Thing B. From the moment they came into the house, it's been a constant stream of, "I'm getting a snack," "I'm hungry," "When are we eating?" "Can I have a snack?" and in all of that not a one of them has offered up a please, or given a thank you. When I offered to make them lunch, they demanded noodles, and since Thing A has food allergies, I'm compelled to follow his lead. Did either one eat all their lunch? No. Five minutes later, they're rummaging through the snack cabinets, without asking. Am I wrong to think this is inappropriate? When I said, "no," (because at this house, we don't graze all day)I was looked at like I had three heads.

There was wanton mess making, and no listening to my rather firm requests to clean it up. I know they're kids and prone to mess making and silliness, but I like to think that I'm not the only parental figure out there who expects a little respect. Especially from guests in the house.

All in all, I'm going to try to avoid having any more double playdates, expecially on days when we also have to take O to preschool and shuffle Miss E to her ballet classes during rush hour.

On a positive note, the yarn I ordered for Felix's last Christmas present came to day, just in time for Friday's plane trip to Michigan.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like an afternoon that would frustrate me no end. :0/ These two visitors sound like badly parented little ones. Makes me sad, actually. samm

12/11/08, 11:55 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Those were the days... now when Miss B has a friend over they disappear downstairs and I don't see them again until they emerge at going-home time, faces, nails and hair I-have-never-seen-THAT-before, but it all washes out/off, and they do ask before doing anything outlandish.

I don't think I would make a good nanny.

Thanks for your lovely compliment on my scarf!

12/11/08, 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home