Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Reason #15

OK, so I got one of the stupid forwards recently; "101 Reasons You Know You're From Boston." Not all of them necessarily ring true, but this one did....

"Anyone you don't know is a potential idiot until proven otherwise."

I laughed, and then stopped. I considered for a moment, and then realized that it was, in the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "funny 'cause it's true." I do that. Awful, though it is, I do it. I'm always pleasantly surprised to discover smart, funny, interesting people, because while I like the folks I like (and they are many and varied), I'm not such a huge fan of people in general. Is this "Bostonian?"

I don't rightly know.

I don't exactly know where this trait came from, either. Is it in my family, and I don't see it because I'm one of them? Did I develop it as a defense, growing up as an oddity (free-spirited and awkward) in an often narrow-minded small town? Did the realization that there were other people in the world who saw things similarly (ie, that I was not, in fact, alone in my awkwardness), a realization to which it took many painful growing-up years to come, engender this automatic mistrust of the people around me - idiotic until proven otherwise?

I'm not sure I'm happy with this realization, but I am, in most ways, very happy with the me that I am, so I think that I will not lose sleep over this newly discovered negative. After all, it's hardly my only unattractive quality... (ah, self-deprecating humor...)

I guess in the end, I'm left with the fact that meeting someone who interests me still has the power to make me genuinely happy. And that's got to be good.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger fibby said...

"People are stupid." is the saying I tend to fall back on when faced with human beings who should find themselves another planet (and yes, usually it's the human beings I haven't bothered to go to know who fall into this category).

I think you're not as alone in your "newly discovered negative" as you might think, MOMP...

:-)

1/17/07, 1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home