Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Saddest Little Sight

I was on the way back from parking the Volvo just a while ago with O and Miss E in tow, carrying a full load of grocery bags, when I saw a robin's egg split open on the edge of the street. I stopped the kids, intending to point it out to them, "Oh, look, guys! A robin's egg. Maybe there's a nest in the tree above us?"

Then, as I looked closer, what I'd thought was a bit of pink gum on the pavement turned out to be the former inhabitant of the egg. It was clearly not supposed to be hatched yet, and was squirming there on the ground. I diverted the kids, but I was too stunned to move for a minute.

What was the right thing to do? Leave it there to die? Kill it quickly? It wasn't going to rescued; birds aren't like that... In the end, I walked away, a little queasy, and very sad.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ewww.

There are no good options. Perhaps, without kids, killing it quickly might have been a mercy. With kids - just get them the hell away from it before you have to answer alot of really difficult questions.

Nature is a bitch.

5/17/07, 1:03 PM  
Blogger Bimbimbie said...

That was sad and confronting and I would have done the same as you if I was alone with kids *!*

5/22/07, 5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home