Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Strong to the Finach

This has been the week of pureed spinach here at MoMP.

And like Mikey, and Popeye, he likes it.

Here's what I did. (And before anyone goes off and tries this, I'm only sharing something that worked for me and my child specifically. You should always check with your pediatrician if you have questions/concerns about babies and food, especially food/spice allergies. Also, I do not endorse any particular school of solid food thought. Please don't think I'm prostheletizing or trying to force my spinach puree down your cyber throat. I'm just sharing.)

Chopped frozen spinach
Water to cover
pinch of nutmeg

Bring water to a boil, toss in spinach and cook until it's bright green and cooked through. Don't boil it to death.
Drain off the water, reserving some to loosen the puree. Toss the spinach and a little water into a blender or food processor or food mill. Puree the bejeezus out of it. Add more water if it's too thick.

Felix likes his spinach with a little Gerber mixed grain cereal and a little more water. I find that the pinch of nutmeg in the cooking water adds a little zing. Obviously, you should watch for any reactions to the nutmeg, and only try it once you're sure the spinach by itself is an all clear. We're very lucky that he's shown no reactions to anything he's tried.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Such a handsome boy! I love the little green mouth. :O) I'll pass along the nutmeg idea to my dil who has a nine month old.

5/17/08, 6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cook until it's bright green and cooked through. Don't boil it to death.

words to live by.

I maintain that failing at this is why many kids don't like vegetables. (When I was a kid, green beans were closer to gray and came in a can.)

5/22/08, 3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home