Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Secret Boyfriend Edition

To paraphrase Mrs. G, despite my blathering on about secret boyfriend, I have been fathfully married to my husband for three years, we share a home, a child, and three lunatic pets. I may talk the tart on these here intertubes, but I stand by my man.

I'm a pretty regular lurker reader over at Mrs. G's Derfwad Manor, so I'm pretty regularly treated to her mancake Secret Boyfriend posts. I am envious. I haven't the stamina for too many secret boyfriends. Also, I am too fickle. My secret boyfriends change with the television season. (For instance, the scifi/travel dreams I had last spring about David Tennant as The Doctor. Or the police drama dreams I had about Michael Chiklis as Vic Mackey - wierd, I know.) The one constant, enduring crush I have had since childhood is for Christopher Plummer, as Captain von Trapp, of course. He stole my heart during Edelweiss and the Laendler, and by the time he and Maria were singing about their wicked, miserable pasts, I was in love. He would reign over my myriad teenage secret boyfriends (Axel, Tom, Judd, Joey, etc...) like a handsome, older angel until Colin Firth's Fitzwilliam Darcy stripped down to swim in the pond at Pemberley. Obviously, by that time, my desires had changed...

I'm still a softy for the Captain, and for Darcy (yum!), but I've found a new secret boyfriend, and again, he's old enough to be my father. Though he's been around for a while, I only became aware of him in HBO's Rome, though I'd seen him before without taking notice, and yes, I recently went back for a second look at Persuasion. (I think I have a Jane Austen complex...) But it was while watching Miss Pettigrew Lives for A Day that I fell. His character has the same wry humor, the same gentle demeanor and older handsomeness, not to mention appreciation for feminine beauty, that I so love about the Captain. Maybe it's the slow dancing. After all, it isn't likely an accident that I picked two photos in which our heroes are dancing.

Totally. Swoon.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Cara said...

You have to come visit for Sing-a-long Sound of Music at the Castro Theatre. It's frickin awesome.

12/12/08, 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home