Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Confessions of a Suburban Murderess

Weeds. Not People. Let's just get that settled straight away.

I have these weeds. They plague me. I spend hours plotting their demise. They have deep, strong, hardy roots, and grow up from underneath the old concrete of our driveway. I dig, I pull. I cannot get the roots up. I cut them back and they sprout like hydras. It's obscene.

I'm loathe to use commercial weed killers because of the kiddo and the dogs and the healthy shrubs and perennials I have on the property, so I called my old friend, the internets, to find a home remedy for the problem. After a few sites, I managed to cobble together a rudimentary understanding of the remedy.

Here's what I made*: 1 T. strong spirits (gin, preferably, though I didn't have any, so I used vodka), 1 T cider vinegar, & 1 T dish soap in a 16 oz. spray bottle. Top off with hot water. I would not use this is in a broad application. It kills indiscriminately from what I've read. Also, you would need gallons. It's not super concentrated.

I cut back the foliage of these nasty, invasive chard like weeds so that the stalks were raw, and then I sprayed the bejeezus out of them, right up in their faces, so to speak. I am optimistic that they won't come back this time.

Mwah ah ah ah....

*Hello, fine print! I am not a chemist, a horticulturist, or even an avid gardener. I cannot be held responsible for you trying what I did and deriving unacceptable results. I'm just sharing what worked for me. Then again, it hasn't worked yet. I'll get back to you on that...

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do hope it works! We have an area of river stone under a tree, and the weeds and maple babies grow and grow. I need something lethal only to them!!! Good way to get rid of some very ancient booze...
Waiting to see if this works for you, to join you in weed murder,
samm

8/9/09, 4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home