Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Life Is De Bubbles

Sebastian the crab said it better. I know.

So, here in FUNemployment Land, we are obsessed with bubbles. All three of Felix's Easter baskets contained some form of bubble stuff/wand combo, and he's hooked. He's also two, so between frequent long-format bubble blowing sessions and tantrums about it being time to end said sessions, which always tend in tears and spillage, we go through it pretty fast around here. Of course, "We don't have any more bubble stuff," is like saying, "I kicked your puppy," based on the reaction it gets, so I had to do something about the tiny bottles with their tiny volumes.

Ever the frugal FUNemployed Mama, I decided we would make our own. To this end, I turned to my old pal Internets. I found this recipe via the National Wildlife Federation - go nature! And stuff. I tweaked it a little, cause that's what I do. Can't leave well enough alone.

1/4 c. Joy liquid dish detergent (I have no data on other brands)
1/4 t. glycerin (available at pharmacies and fine cake decorating supply shops)
3/4 c. cold water

Mix all of the above and stir gently. For best results, wait a few hours or overnight. In reality, it works right out of the bowl.

I refilled my favorite bubble jar/wand combo (pictured here), and saved the day!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've used dishsoap "bubble stuff" in my family for at least two generations. Works fine! :) samm

4/15/10, 6:53 PM  
Blogger Cameron said...

I should also share that it's delightfully lemony fresh!

4/15/10, 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home