Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Friday, May 07, 2010

Hugs (Non) Receivable

Let me start with this question: Who could resist a hug from this kid?

A few salient points: I nannied for the same kids over 10 years. Felix was with me for nearly 2 of those years. Mrs. Boss's Mother never really cared for how I did things, and was never more than cordial and often less than polite to me, and worse, dismissive toward my toddler. She stole my job in a well-played caregiver coup d'etat. I am now going on my seventh month of being unemployed.

So, I mentioned that I took Felix in to see Big Brother J's Little League game on Wednesday evening. As one might expect, she was there supervising O. I politely said hello (my Mom raised me right, after all), and then settled in to watch both Felix and the game.

When it was time to leave, Felix was doling out hugs, to J, to O, to Mr. Boss, to my former colleague, and then to Mrs. Boss's Mother. After all, he knew her, and she was there.

Let me reiterate: He hugged her. Voluntarily.

She didn't even so much as look down at him. The kid pictured above hugged her, out of the goodness of his heart, and she didn't even acknowledge he existed. What kind of heartless beast does that?

Would a pat on the head have been so goddamned hard for her?

I should get a medal for not slugging her.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger craftosaurus said...

And she now has your old gig, right? Those poor kids! Seriously.

5/7/10, 11:18 AM  
Blogger brushfiremedia said...

You should have said something. Seriously. That's just uncalled for.

5/7/10, 2:16 PM  
Blogger fibby said...

grrrrrrrr.

5/7/10, 8:18 PM  
Anonymous John Flemming said...

I would have given you a medal if you HAD slugged her!

5/9/10, 8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's some messed up shit right there. I hope Felix didn't catch on. There's no call to go ruining a little kid's basic faith in the goodness of the world. He'll be school age soon enough.

I hereby award you a medal, for equinamity under fire.

5/9/10, 9:21 AM  
Anonymous Kris said...

I know I am going to annoy you, but you need to take some deep breaths and MOVE ON! This woman does not have your best interests (or the interests of your child) at heart. She just doesn't. Not all people do.

Stop getting your feelings hurt by her coldness. You're letting her win.

And you are better than that. Much.

5/10/10, 3:36 PM  
Blogger Cameron said...

Kris, you are 100% correct, and, in a way, this was me exhaling the vitriol. For the most part, since posting this I haven't given it any thought.

It certainly stung less once I'd hit Publish.

5/10/10, 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home