Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Saturday, December 29, 2007

12.29.07: A List

Two days left to the year, and I've got a lot of things I meant to say, but never did. Somehow the kid got in the way :) I found this list on a blog I stalk, and thought I'd spend a little time answering the questions, in lieu of something more original.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Gift bags, if I have some to recycle from the year before. Brown craft paper is my favorite, with pretty, shiny ribbons and bows a la Martha. Or scraps of paper leftover from previous years, if I happen to have a newborn in the house.

2. Real tree or Artificial? Real. Preferably cut from a tree farm. Though, nest year I may invest in a smaller pre-lit fake tree for my best ornaments. (Yes, I have enough ornaments for two trees...)

3. When do you put up the tree? On OysterFestivus, of course.

4. When do you take the tree down? Just in time for the town curbside tree collection.

5. Do you like egg nog? Yep. Yum. With a drop of bourbon and some fresh ground nutmeg.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? Favorite ever? I couldn't say. But one Christmas I got an indoor play tent, a bright orange vinyl monstrosity that I loved with all my heart. I remembered it this fall, and now I can even remember the smell of the plastic.

7. Do you have a nativity scene? Nope.

8. Hardest person to buy for? Daddy. I haven't finished his gift yet, but when I do, it will explain much...

9. Easiest person to buy for? Mom. I think of something every day, the trouble is what to decide on?

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? This year? Not applicable. But I like mailed cards best.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I'm fairly sure that any Christmas gift I might not have loved was still given in the proper spirit, so how could I say it was the worst?

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? The Charlie Brown Christmas special, and the animated How the Grinch Stole Christmas, as narrated by the great Boris Karloff.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I have no hard and fast rules on this one, but, believe it or not, I did start my Christmas knitting in August, and due to Felix, still didn't get it done.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Yes. And I'll never say which ones.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Mimosas and my Mom's coffee cake on Christmas morning, and pumpkin roll anywhere you serve it.

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? I prefer clear, Mark prefers color (and lots of it!), so next year, my fake tree will have clear, and the main tree will have color, and we will all have a Merry Christmas!

17. Favorite Christmas song? So many. I have hundreds of Christmas tunes in my holiday playlist. I love Silent Night in the original German, and the Barenaked Ladies/Sarah McLachlan version of God Bless You, Merry Gentlemen. Also, It Came Upon A Midnight Clear, but not the chapel melody. And O, Holy Night, in big, grandiose full choral harmony.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? We've been splitting the holiday since Mark and I got together five years ago, but now that we have Felix, I think a little boy should be able to have Christmas morning in his own house.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? I am a nanny, and a Christmas music junkie. Of course I can. And I don't need to prove it.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? I have an angel Boyd's Bear.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or christmas morning? With two households to visit, it takes all day Christmas Day, though when Mark and exchange gifts, we usually do it Christmas Eve.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Not enough time to do things the way I'd like to.

23. Favorite ornament theme or color? I love glass and things that sparkle. But our big tree has all these goofy ornaments from the OysterFests that are awesome because they come from our friends and have sstories and memories attached to them.

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? I actually always loved when my Mom made lasagna for Christmas Eve dinner. And we're not even Italian.

25. What do you want for Christmas this year? We got everything we could have asked for, except maybe a gift certificate to my favorite spa. That would have been dreamy.

26. Who is most likely to respond to this? Not applicable.

27. Who is least likely to respond to this? Again, not applicable.

28. When did you stop believing in Santa? I don't remember how old I was, but I was older than most. I held on, even doubtfully, until I found "Santa's" wrapping tissue under my Mom's living room chair. I was heartbroken, like any smart kid with a big imagination. I really wanted it to be true, even though I knew it was unlikely. I kept "believing" for a long time after that, though, since my brother is six years younger tham I am.

29. How many people do you have to buy for at Christmas? I try to keep it simple. My immediate family, and Mark's, and my godson (whose gift is coming, I swear!), and the family I work for.

Merry!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home