Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Suburban Eden

I planted my first vegetable garden this summer. It is very likely that it's an overly ambitious first garden. I'm not good at reining myself in when it comes to new hobbies. I have four different types of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, pole beans, English peas, yellow squash, carrots, pumpkins, and lettuce and a full complement of herbs in containers (except the cilantro, which arrived later than the rest).

Perhaps I should be selling farm shares? Probably not. I will, however, be canning, pickling, and freezing my vegetable bounty for most of July and August.

Of course this is all assuming that there's no tomato blight, drought, pestilence, my own debilitating laziness, bunnies... The litany of potentially destructive forces to be driven down upon my defenseless chicken-wired garden by vengeful gods is long and frightening. (Inflated sense of self, much?)

My neighbors must think I've finally gone 'round the bend. Sometimes I just stand there, looking down on my tiny plants with a maternal expression. Oh, look, Squash has a new set of leaves. Mama's so proud!

The best part right now is the early harvest. My herbs are going crazy and the lettuce is beautiful!
So green!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Mudgirl said...

I love your garden! You will have to share a photo in September when it is an absolute jungle! They all look so innocent now but wait until they get bigger and bigger and bigger....

I know what you mean about being proud - I have four tomatoes in pots and anxiously check them everyday. Here's to healthy plants!

6/2/10, 2:56 PM  
Blogger Cameron said...

@Mudgirl
Thanks! I'm sure I'll be out there photographing the beans and squash climbing their string trellises, and the first of everything. You'll all be begging me to stop!

6/2/10, 3:25 PM  
Anonymous kris said...

I am not a gardener, but my daughters and I plant stuff every year. We usually make a small harvest, but mostly? The girls play with the bugs and other critters attracted to our plants. And then when everything dies? My girls are way into decomposition and the worms that come round.

We are weird farmers.

Forensic farmers.

6/2/10, 4:32 PM  
Blogger Cameron said...

@kris
When you say you plant "stuff," does that really mean bodies? Be honest. I've heard about the dead-thing obsession chez PrettyAllTrue!

6/3/10, 8:15 AM  
Blogger brushfiremedia said...

I'd totally buy a farm share, though it's an awfully long drive to pick up...

6/3/10, 8:27 AM  
Blogger Cameron said...

@brushfiremedia
Ah, but perhaps then you'd come visit me!

6/3/10, 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home