Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Clicking Publish

I have a whole lot of nothing to post about. Usually, when that's the case, I don't post. Of course, I've built up some momentum again in terms of posting regularly, and I like that. I've been at this for more than four years, and I think the five friends who initially read it are still with me. And then there are the couple people I don't even know who read here. Whoa.

It's like a miracle, that.

But lately, I've been both over and underwhelmed. I have a new job to post about. Felix is forever being cute, annoying, goofy, and miserable--easy material. And yet. Stymied.

Also stuck on the baby novel. I was on fire for a few weeks, and I cranked out a lot. Then. Nada. Zip. Zero. Naught.

I had a very wise writing professor at Middlebury who asked us, as part of a non-fiction writing course, to write a certain amount of words every day. Let's call it 500 (since I don't really remember the exact number). We had to turn in these manidtory, pen-to-paper, stream-of-consciousness ramblings to prove we were doing them, and the exercise actually led to some of the essays I write for the proper class assignments.

That's one of the reasons I started blogging. To make myself write. To see if I still had a voice. So, today, I started with what was in my head--writer's block--and began to type. Instead of turning it in, I'm going to hit Publish when I get to the end of the last coherent sentence that falls near 300 words.

I always wonder what other bloggers/writers/essayists/authors do when they hit a wall. Step back? Listen? Crank out five pages of awkward garbage in the hopes it will undo the clog between brain and fingertips?

Yesterday, I unplugged after starting two useless posts and watched three episodes of Glee.I could have been doing dishes, working out, or researching things I need to get done before I start my new job. I ended up feeling guilty about not doing those things, and not blogging, and watching television.

Guilt is so not productive and I ended up in a worse funk.

So, today, I publish. It's a step.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Megan (Best of Fates) said...

It's an important first step - I'm sure you'll come out of your funk soon!

5/25/10, 1:32 PM  
Blogger Cameron said...

@Megan (Best of Fates)
Thanks. I have some high hopes for the rest of the day.

5/25/10, 2:02 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I'm right there with you! No worries, posting something is better than nothing and it's good to know your not alone. Hang in there!

5/25/10, 2:27 PM  
Anonymous kris said...

I keep notes, lots of notes. And when I am feeling uninspired and blocked? I pick out one of my notes and just start writing as though there has been an assignment and I am under deadline.

It works.

5/27/10, 5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New job???? :) samm

5/27/10, 6:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good for you for publishing -- when that funk hits me, I crawl into bed with a barrel of popcorn and hide from the world...

5/29/10, 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home