Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Felix's Nursery (with Bonus Video)

With all the home improvement posts I've done, I've never really posted much about the nursery. I am so very proud of it, too. I only realized this while I was mentally shuffling furniture around for his Big Boy Bed, which arrives tomorrow.

I thought, Wow. I should take some pictures of the nursery before it's gone.
My baby's not so much a baby anymore.

When we were expecting, I thought about the nursery all the time. I could picture it behind my eyelids when I was falling asleep. I wanted something authentically ours, but also something both playful and put together that our little boy could put his stamp on. There are a lot of family pieces and hand-me-downs in this room--that means a lot to me. There are also more than a couple oooooh!-impulse-buy-for-the-nursery items from my beloved Target and IKEA.

So, to start off my wee tour, I'll show you some befores. I lurve me some befores.
Before: Our walk through, 3/2005
Before: All the baby swag jammed in the room before nesting kicked in. 9/2007
Before: painted, still with a pile of baby swag in the middle of the room. 9/2007

And now, the afters. Yay! Afters!
View from the door, with the bookcase my Dad made me when I was little, and the rocker--which came from Mark's late aunt's estate, and my Mom had recovered.
Perhaps my favorite little bit of the room--these three Pooh paintings were done by my maternal grandmother, whom I never got know. They hung in my room when I was little, too.
The crib, passed on to us by my former employers (I've put four babies down to sleep in this crib!), with the quilt made my all the women in my family, my Mom's old toy chest, and one of the three Roman shades she made for the room.
This is a section of the growth chart my dear friend Andrea, at Bouncing off the Walls Murals, painted for us.

The changing table/dresser came with the hand-me-down crib--new knobs from Target.
Boy wonder himself, showing off his Adirondack style rocker (and making a really weird face).

And now, the minute, thirty-one seconds you've all been waiting for, Felix's big interview. Hang on, kids, this is some serious docu-drama!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous kris said...

That is the absolute best little boy's room I have ever seen! Congratulations, you! You have a room filled with love, connections to history, and your son's personality.

Well done!

I love how so many people made small contributions to this room. Your son will be surrounded by all of their generous spirits as he grows.

You are the home-improvement Queen!

5/14/10, 12:03 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I love this room! You've done a great job. Our poor little guy doesn't have anything neat like this. Would you mind giving a home-improvement challenged person like me a hand?

5/14/10, 12:59 AM  
Blogger fibby said...

Love the video!

5/14/10, 7:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

nice to see the upstairs - i think it has often been clossed off.

5/14/10, 10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely restful room Felix has!!! I love the little bookshelves under the slope. :) He's a dear little boy. Thanks for sharing him! samm

5/14/10, 6:45 PM  
Blogger A, P, C & 7 said...

OK, how psyched am I that the growth chart is his favorite?!

5/15/10, 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home