Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Great MixTape Digitalization Project of 2006 and the Quest for Decent Brunch in MetroWest: or How I Spent My Weekend

In short, the weekend was three days long, three days short, and three days unproductive, unless you count The Great MixTape Digitalization Project of 2006.

Today, as a special treat, MOMP presents it's first Restaurant Review, which ties in closely to Mark's and my Quest for Decent Brunch in MetroWest.

Stone's Public House, Ashland, MA
Sunday, February 19, 2006, 11:40 AM
We would have given it two thumbs up, but our thumbs were busy with the utensils!

Mark and I are all about a few simple brunch tenets (good bloody marys, mimosas in pint glasses, delicious brunch fare, and a good Sunday morning vibe), and when living in Medford, we had too many acceptable options, from fallback brunch at the always pleasing B-Side Lounge to playing at sophistication in Boston's South End at Aquitaine or Tremont 647. Now, we find ourselves faced with suburban offerings, limited largely to Bickford's Grille or John Harvard's Brew House.

Our quest took a turn towards success this past Sunday with the discovery of a brunch menu at Stone's in Ashland, which is about 3.5 miles from our front door, as the GoogleMap flies.

We arrived around quarter of noon (read "quarter of alcohol"), but that allowed us to choose our seats at the bar, far from other patrons and close to the fireplace. Low, rough timbered ceilings and a 175ish year old hearth with roaring fire made the barroom cozy, as did the soft lilt of Irish folkmusic through the speakers and Geraldine, the faintly brogued bartender/hostess. We both headed for the Irish Breakfast, hoping to find some semblance of the real thing. The website cites chef/owner Matt Murphy, and I couldn't help but think of Matt Murphy's Pub in Brookline Village, touted by Irish emigrants all over Boston as "a real Irish Breakfast."

Oh, my brunch!

The mountain of deliciousness that arrived was like nothing I've ever seen! My two eggs scrambled, Mark's sunny-side-up, and two plates heaped high with baked beans, rashers, bacon and ham, black and white puddings, grilled tomato, toasted bread, hash browns... the gluttony that ensued embarrasses me. We will check back in when we've ventured back for the dinner menu!

"You mentioned something about The Great MixTape Digitalization Project of 2006?" you say....

Ah, yes. Well, "The time has come," the Walrus said, "To speak of other things. For example, getting rid of outmoded technologies like audio cassettes, especially when those cassettes are cluttering up the cockpit of your VW." I agreed with the walrus, and so I spent some time this weekend collecting songs from iTunes, Limewire, and many other sources and recreating my favorite old mix tapes as playlists on my iPod. Such a musical treat! Maybe if I'm really bored this week, I'll treat everyone to a Rianesque track listing of some of the best ones...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home