Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Thursday, March 01, 2007

"Do They Have Bahs Downthayah?"

Two portly middle aged men in team jackets and hats said to me, after asking if the "Gahdin" was around "heyah." I love this town!

O&I were running to the Post Office on New Chardon Street this morning when we were waylaid by these ... umm... gentlemen(?). I patiently pointed to the rising silhouettes of the Charles River Park Apartments, above the Department of Mental Health building (you know it, the one with all the crazy (haha) stairs and balconies? it might not actually be where the DMH is, but there's a sign nearby...), and said, "Just to the right of those high rises, you can't miss it." The title question followed.

"They certaintly do!" I replied, hauling the stroller into the crosswalk, so as not to miss the walk light and be stranded with two middle-aged dudes looking to get drunk at 10 AM.

Then I played the "How Many Bars Can I Name in that Neighborhood Without Using Google?" game:
Hooters
Penalty Box
Upstairs Lounge
Harp
Paddy O'Rourke's (a stretch, but it's in the Bullfinch Triangle!)
Grand Canal

Subsequent searching got me a link to Grand Canal, which I love, and seldom go to anymore. Legend tells that once Mark, staying on alone after a group Sunday brunch session, got his foot stuck between the foot rail and the bar at Grand Canal, and drunkenly called his friends for help, hoping they'd bring a helicopter... Hmmm.... Back a million years ago, Becs and Ys and I would go dancing at the Upstairs Lounge, which had a small but dedicated goth night. Ahh, the good old days...

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Legal Blondie said...

Ha! I actually know another one... Boston Beer Works is over there too! *grin* Who would have thought that I would be able to relate to a post about a neighborhood in Boston! Shocking!

3/5/07, 6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home