Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Civic Pride and Commuter Prejudice

Days like today take away from the Sox's recent World Series sweep for me. I don't understand these victory rallies. I just don't. Celebrate! Party! Rally! Go nuts, but please don't barricade city streets that I use to get to work, when I already have to contend with a 23 mile commute that takes upwards of 45 minutes on a light traffic day. Don't invite fans to pile up alongside these barricades and force pedestrians out into the streets, further congesting them.

(and yes, at 7:53 AM there were fans in shirts, carrying signs and Starbuck's/Dunkies cups, settling in for a rally that won't roll through Copley Square until 12:30 PM. Gotta see it all on the JumboTron, man!)

I'm pretty psyched for this team. And this town, but sometimes it bothers me that we spend so much of our states funding on things like victory rallies. Think about it. Roads crews to set up/break down the barricades and scaffolding for the Tron and news crews. Trash crews to clean up afterwards. Police presence. And I'm sure Henry and Lucchino and all those guys are putting up a pile of cash, but still. Civic pride has its cost, I know. Something about the inconvenience sticks in my proverbial craw and makes me cranky.

Maybe it's the 8 1/2 month pregnancy making me cranky?

And the fact that I don't need to watch a baseball team roll by in a Duck Boat to be pround of what they accomplished.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger The Burger said...

Bah Humbug!

At least they don't have parades every year when they *don't* win the world championship.

Also, get used to it, 'cause I have a funny feeling this ain't gonna be the only one this year...

holycrapican'tbelievethere'sgonnabeababy! :-)

10/30/07, 12:31 PM  
Blogger Cameron said...

Estimated cost of police presence = $500,000. Mayor Menino "hopes" for some assistance from private sponsors. And kids can't have recess at school, or music programs, or PE in a vast number of Boston's public schools.

I'm just sayin', is all.

Oh, and did I mention that my commute sucked? Try doing that with a baby kicking your ribs the whole damn 45 minutes.

And the helicopters over the house here at work, constantly buzzing for three hours. Nice.

Here's an idea: Have the rally on a SATURDAY!

10/30/07, 1:59 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I think they passed around the Saturday idea but found out that none of the players would stay that long as they all wanted to get home to their families. Sorry your commute sucked - I think the baby was kicking for you to go to the parade :) J/K Good luck with everything. Be happy for the Sox, you don't want your kid to come out a Yankees fan!

10/31/07, 8:48 AM  
Blogger Legal Blondie said...

Yup, I think you're just 8 1/2 months pregnant. Don't worry, you'll be cured of your bah humbug soon. I promise: even if they come late, they do eventually come out -- and then they're pretty darn fun (although being suck in traffic with them doesn't get better for quite a number of years!)

10/31/07, 8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home