Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Thursday, September 07, 2006

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

It's the First Day of School here in NannyLand, and MOMP is celebrating. The first 10 readers to leave comments will recieve a special mystery prize!

(I also have a bridge in Brooklyn if anyone's interested?)

O&I will return to our regular haunts today, hangin' and meeting people... But before too long, there will be a crush of activites, etc, so these last few days of peace and quiet will be very welcome.

Someone yesterday asked me if I was concerned that O doesn't talk at 18 months. Up until the moment of the question, I've been confident in my assessment that as a boy and the third child, he'll talk when he needs to, and that might not be for a while. His motor skills and his emotional developement are spot on, and he's an engaged, interested, easygoing kid... He's also got two older siblings, two parents, and me; all of whom are trained pretty well to respond to his nonverbal communication... Why talk, right? He's got an army of enabling translators...

Damn the person who brought it up, though. Now I'm worried. Is there something we're not doing? Could I be doing something wrong? Am I missing some red flag? I don't know. My gut says he's fine. Hopefully, it's a correct instinct. His parents seem to feel the same way, so I should stop worrying, right?

For today, I'm going to enjoy his company, tell hims stories, sing him songs, and be happy the big kids are back to school.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOO. If I'm the first one to respond do I get the best prize? Glad that you and O get some quality time. I'd be happy to teach you inappropriate sign language for O should he chose to be the silent one... (Kate the Great)

9/7/06, 9:55 AM  
Blogger Cameron said...

your prize is on the way to your inbox, katehead. and oh, my! is it a prize!

9/7/06, 1:34 PM  
Blogger fibby said...

Ooh! Ooh! I'm second!

What do I get?! What do I get!? :-)

I, too, know some R-rated sign language I can pass on, if necessary.

For what it's worth, there was a boy I was babysitting a few years back who wasn't speaking at 18 months, and now, years later, he apparently won't shut up. So I say don't worry too much, and enjoy the beginning of the school year (my first day is today too!).

9/7/06, 3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, enjoy the quiet while it lasts. Pretty soon he'll learn to say "no" and it will be tears and recriminations forever afterwards...

9/7/06, 4:08 PM  
Blogger Cameron said...

Phoebe, Laura, enjoy your special mystery prizes!

9/7/06, 7:37 PM  
Blogger Legal Blondie said...

Oh, oh me too... I want a mystery prize too!!! (I have a silly anachronistic blogger name now that I've turned the big 3-0!).

9/9/06, 9:42 AM  
Blogger Cameron said...

Legally Blonde, Esq.: your prize is on its way. You'll heart it.

9/9/06, 1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home