Move Over Mary Poppins!

The real life adventures of one nanny, her husband, child, dogs, house, and whatever else crosses her path.

My Photo
Name:
Location: MA, United States

Find me at http://camerondgarriepy.com, and http://twitter.com/camerongarriepy

Friday, March 09, 2007

Oh my, will the parade of sick children never end!

I am a very spoiled nanny. This I know. In a normal work week, I spend the first 7 of my 10.5 hour day with just O. We do our thing, and then I have some combination of older kids for the hours between school and the return of the parents. During O's naps, I can nap, workout, pay my bills, chat online, do whatever... It keeps me sane during the long days.

This week, however, I've had sick kids on my hands since Tuesday. Big Brother J was home Tuesday, Wednesday, and yesterday, and though he went to school today, Miss E stayed home. This presents a particular challenge for me, since E is the child that I feel least close to. She's needy, whiny, and has very little common sense. Sometimes, it's hard for me to get past all of that to the sweet, imaginative, optimistic kid she is underneath.

I think, also, that I missed a crucial point in bonding with her. I was gone from her second to fourth birthdays, and somehow she grew away from me, and the fault is likely mine, but I've never fully been able to mend it.

It's different with J. I was there, full time, until he started full time school, a natural pulling-away time for school aged kids, and I've never worried about distance between us. He drives me batty a lot, but when it comes down to it, he listens to me, and we have a fair amount in common, which makes being his nanny a little easier.

And O doesn't remember last week, never mind the first four month of his life, before I came back to the family. Bonus!

Anyway, the moral of the story is that I know I'm spoiled, but I want my routine back!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger fibby said...

I should have come over and been sick with all your kiddos. I was sick all week, and am only now (9 days later) feeling 90%. Ugh. Hope the germs don't get you too, MOMP!

3/10/07, 3:51 PM  
Blogger Bimbimbie said...

Poor you with sick kiddies, never mind that holiday to Savannah sounds just the tonic! I have that book on my shelf too ..... might just have to read it again!

3/10/07, 9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home